[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnifier

 * Original msg to: Napier-at-cats.ucsc.edu
 * Carbons sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting napier-at-cats.ucsc.edu (Mark Napier):

> The article that Richard Hull had in the last newsletter was
> very exciting.  I have a small "resonator" about the size of
> the one he put the huge fan dome on.  I am interested in
> experimenting with increasing terminal capacitance so I would
> like to make a magnifier set-up to base feed this little guy.

> Do the frequencies of the two coils need to match?

The answer here depends on what you mean by frequency. Both coils
operate at the same frequency: they must in order for the system
to process power. But the inducutance and impedance of the two
coils will be diferent. The calculated or measured 1/4 wave
frequency will be different.

The tank circuit is tuned to the same frequency as the extra coil
with discharger. The best secondary coil is going to have a lower
impedance than the extra coil it is driving, and would operate at
about twice the 1/4 wave frequency of the extra coil with
discharger.

> Can you give me some of those "off the top of your head"
> physical specs for the base resonator?  I have two .0187
> micro-farad rolled caps in series right now powered by 120 ma
> of neons.  (I still do not understand how that translates to
> KVA).

The secondary coil in the three coil magnifier needs to be wound
with some thick wire on a short squat form. These secondary (or
"driver") coils are designed with tight coupling and heavy
current production in mind. The primary/secondary in the Tesla
Magnifier are operating more like a simple transformer than a
tank circuit/resonator set. In effect the primary/secondary is
acting as a narrow band signal generator producing a heavy RF
current.

For introductory Magnifier work I like a "drum" type secondary
wound with thick wire. You don't need to shoot for a high
inductance per unit volume. A coil with a winding 20 inches high
on a 10 inch diameter form wound with #14 AWG magnet wire and
resulting in a coil that is 1/4 wave resonate at about 450 kHz
would be about right. To cut the costs you could use the cheaper
soft PVC insulated stranded wire purchased surplus. You can
increase the diameter and height of the coil form to get a decent
winding at about this frequency.

Load your extra coil with discharger to get the 1/4 wave
frequency down to ~225 kHz. Tune your tank circuit to match. By
closely coupling the heavy short secondary (or "driver") coil to
the primary you will force this coil to produce an 1/8 wave
signal at the system frequency (~225 kHz). This 1/8 wave signal
is fed by transmission line (copper tubing, heavy DC power cable,
copper strap, or Litz wire) to the base of the extra coil.

Good Luck!

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12