[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HOW TO MEASURE XFRMR POWER?

>>Does anyone have any ideas on a semi-easy way to tell what the maximum
safe
>>power output of the transformers are?

>I was going to say, run them with a load until the steady state temperature
>reached say 140f or 40c and call that the output power. But at 1' x 1' x
>2.5' that's pole pig country, say 10KW, and not easily loadable. Some of
the
>more experienced coilers may have a closer answer for you.

Since you have two of them, run them back to back (120 V stepped up to 12
KV, then 12 KV stepped back down to 120 V).  Apply a large load (maybe your
electric oven?).  You can then check the heat rise as mentioned above, or
measure the voltage drop at the load compared to the input voltage.  This
will give you an indication of the loss / power being dissipated in the
transformer.

Bryan Zublin
bzublin-at-gi-dot-com