[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

Hi all,

I have been messing around with liquid-dielectric plate capacitors...

Anyone else ever used or dealt with a plate capacitor configuration using
a liquid as a dielectric.  I have been messing with using deionized NH4,
deionized (distilled) H20, and glycerine.  Anybody have any better ideas
for the liquid dielectric?

A liquid-dielectric capacitor would be quite configurable.  The temperature of
the liquid dielectric effects the dielectric constant, plates are easily added
, corona and flashover should not be to much a problem seeing as the entire
assembly (conductor plate wise) is totally immersed in the dielectric (no need
to mess with transformer/mineral oil on top).  Dielectric breakdown due to
inconsistancies in molecular structure (such as with polyethylene) is not as
big as concern as with film capacitors.  Just some thoughts...

Also has anyone ever tried using a better conducting electrolyte in salt water
capacitors, does it improve performance any?  Here are some equivalent
conductances of some electrolytes:

NaCl              120.65
CaCl2             124.25
K3Fe(CN)6         150.7
K4Fe(CN)6         146.09
Ca(OH)2           232.9
NaOH              240.8
HCl               415.80

....above in 0.005 gram equivalents per 1000 cubic centimeters

Hydrochloric acid appears a good choice, that is if you could keep it from
destroying the electrode and wall of the vessel..:)

Note that sodium chloride (table salt) is pretty low, I am sure their is a
better choice for the liquid-conductor plates in "salt-water" capacitors.
Question is does the conductivity of the liquid-plate electrolyte really
make that big of difference in overall capacitor performance, or maybe I
am just pissing in the wind...

Comments anyone???

Tim

| Timothy A. Chandler                ||   M.S.Physics/B.S.Chemistry     |
| NASA-Langley Research Center       ||   George Mason University       |
| Department of Energy               ||   Department of Physics         |
| FRT/Alpha - NASALaRC/DOE JRD/OPM   ||   Department of Chemistry       |
| CHOCT FR Designation #82749156/MG09||   OPC-EFC                       |
|                 Private Email Address:  tchand-at-slip-dot-net               |