[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Filtering on Neons

Hi all,
       Phil Mason writes....

> In answer to queries from Ed S. and Malcolm W., I observed no apparent increase
> in performance from the coil. Admittedly it has been a while since I ran it
> with no RF protection. I would have expected no change, unless the transformer
> was having a major effect on the primary circuit. The primary capacitor is
> connected across the transformer - I don't know if this would make a difference
> really.

I suspected this might be the case. Yes, the transformer certainly
is going to affect the circuit. The choking cannot make a difference
if the gap is across the transformer since the transformer is shorted
by the gap. But connecting the capacitor across the transformer can
be modelled as a capcitor shunted by some other impedance, the nature
of which depends on the transformer characteristics.

Regards,
Malcolm