[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Liquid-Dielectric Capacitor

Tim Chandler <tchand-at-slip-dot-net> wrote:
> Actually you are correct the liquid dielectric used was actually NH4 and H2O
> with a related purity of 98.8%, which some call ammonium hydroxide
(NH4OH).  I

Is that purity possible in NH4OH? I'd been under the impression that anything
near that concentration would decompose into ammonia and water, and that
a large
amount of that ammonia would exit promptly.

> the solution specifications.  All the container had on it was a 6
digit number,
>  NH4, and the words "purity 98.8%/DI".  Now that I think about it this
solution
> might be something different than the substance I had originally thought it.
> I will see what information I can dig up on the 6 digit number at work.

Here's a good test; it should smell overwhelmingly of ammonia when you
open the
container. I was a little surprised in your earlier description that you
didn't
mention using such stuff outdoors or under a lab hood. It would seem dangerous
to have such stuff open and indoors. (I've got a jug of 28% NH4OH that I'm
terrified of opening -or dropping!!- indoors.)

Another test is that it should leave essentially no residue when it
evaporates.
Could the marking on the label possibly mean that it contains 98.8% deionized
water? I've seen the terms DI or DI water used a lot for that in various
manufacturing processes.

Wes B.