[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: secondary forms

>>Malcolm Watts said:
<snip>
>    And in connection with terminals, there's an idea I want to
>explore that involves mounting two moderate sized toroids, one
>above the other to form a larger "virtual" toroid. I don't know
>what the outcome will be but I intend to try it to compare volt-
>age holdoff with a single large terminal.
>    Any thoughts on these is most welcome.

Hello Malcolm and others,
        The folks at TCBOR (Tesla Coil Builders of Richmond, Virginia, USA)
have demonstrated a number of interesting top capacitances.  One of the guys
uses miscellaneous kitchen pots and pans.  Another uses the cone from a
large street lamp to support his toroid.  They also stack toroidal rings of
various sizes, one on top of another.  As long as the edges are smooth, they
seem to work pretty well.  I also have a reference somewhere to a case where
a spherical distribution was approximated through the use of about 20
smaller spheres all connected together, in the shape of a larger structure
(for a large Van de Graff generator).
        Another possibility is to wrap some copper tubing around say a 4"
former to form a solenoid. Then slide it off the former and bend the
solenoid into a toroidal shape, connecting the top and bottom of the coil
together.  Electric field effects should approximate a toroid.  Let me know
if someone tests this idea.
Regards,
Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D.