[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New Primary

Hi everyone,
            I've finally been spurred into some action. In some spare
time today and with the help of a couple of colleagues, I've built
a new primary for my coil here at work that promises to be a doozy
both for some experiments I have planned and for operation from a
variety of transformers. It is a 2-layer vertical helix consisting of
7 turns with an end-to-end inductance of about 48uH, about 4 times
the inductance of the original for an additional 4 turns. The mean
diameter has been reduced from 26" to 25". With a 0.1uF cap, this
resonates at about 70kHz. Guess I'm going to have to wind another
secondary now :(   However, flexibility is the key. With the follow-
ing capacitors : 25nF, 50nF, 100nF  I can run at 144kHz (just 2kHz
off the original frequency), 103kHz and 72kHz.
    The only possible drawback is the possibility of flashovers at
high primary voltages due to lack of major clearances. However, it
is designed more for Q comparisons etc. than major running.
    Guess I'll be singing "Lost in the Ozone Again" shortly :)

Malcolm