[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Copper & Salt

 * Carbons Sent to: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
                    usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting Ed Sonderman <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>:

Talking about grounding systems:

> I know oxidized copper is not a good conductor.  Because of the
> frequency and current is this oxide not a problem?  How long
> can I expect this system to last before it is corroded to the
> point where it is not effiecient? My previous two ground
> systems were close to flowers and the lawn so I could not use
> any salt.  This new one will be buried under my gravel
> driveway.

Copper salts are actually pretty good conductors, that is various
oxides of copper. NaCl will speed up the surface oxidation of
copper some, but the overall effect of a wet, salty, solution
in contact with copper electrodes (even with surface oxidation)
is pretty conductive to RF.

The problem of a copper ground system corroding to the point of
inefficiency is one you won't have to worry about for years and
years.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12