[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measuring inductive limits (was Re: Rotary Sparkgap)

 "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz> wrote:
>               I measured my 12kV 60mA neon into a short circuit at
> 58mA. The limiting is almost entirely inductive Xl about 200kOhm,
> Rdc about 30kOhm. Phase angle around 80 degrees.

Malcolm;
 The few fields texts that do the analysis for a shunt limited
transformer also show the shunt producing an effective series
inductance, so this is as it should be. Could you describe the
setup you used to separate out the resistive and inductive
parts? Since the inductance is kind of a virtual thing, inside
the fields of the transformer iron, as it were, I've never
come up with a really good way of measuring it.

Wes B.