[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Liquid-Dielectric Capacitor

Tim Chandler <tchand-at-slip-dot-net> wrote:
> so I could drain the liquid dielectric with ease.  I installed the aluminum
> plates, and added the NH4 (Ammonia) liquid-dielectric (approx. 98.8%
purity).
> After I double checked all of the plates and connections.  I then used a

Your work in this area sounds great and I'm really interested in hearing
about what you learn from it. I do have a question, though. Exactly what
is the NH4 liquid dielectric you're using. Is it a trade name? Since
ammonia is NH3 and is a gas, I guess that's not what you're using.

By the way, if you're planning to use ammonium salts, it would be wise
to avoid ammonium chloride (NH4Cl). If the capacitor were to get
connected to a DC supply, you could electrolytically produce some
ammonium chlorate, which becomes explosively unstable at temperatures
not too far above room temp.

Wes B.