[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Secondary Winding Done

Hello All:

    I was able to take the time to get my secondary completed today.
It seems that most of my time has either been at work or collecting
parts for this project.  Today, I took the advice that was listed in
the past, namely making a secondary winder to make the job easier
and I finally got started.  I took a 0-90VDC gearmotor with 0-20 RPM
output and used it to build a winder.  Some wood, some nails and
that ever present trusty duct tape and it worked great.  I used an
acrylic form 8"diameter by 36" long and wound 28" of #20 wire on it.
It took about 1 1/2 hours with my daughter helping feed the wire off
the spool.  The other advice that I followed was to use the Behr
Super Build 50 product--$22.99 for 48 oz.  Not cheap stuff but it
sure looks great!  I'm now going to need some ideas on how to get
that Behr stuff off the keyboard here too! :-) Just kidding-- hope
the secondary drys by tomorrow, but it may need some heat, since the
basement here in Wisconsin isn't all that warm.
   Well, my next step is the spark gap--I'm going for a
rotary/series type (using pole pig) that will have a small plastic
fan mounted on either side of the rotor unit.  This type of fan only
requires about 27 watts at 3450 RPM so I feel at higher RPM I should
still not overload the drive motor (I hope!).  I hope to, in effect,
help purge the immediate area simply by providing a significant
number of air exchanges per minute in the area of all the spark
gaps.  It should work along the lines of avacuum gap, maybe with an
attitude.  I would appreciate any comments if this fan idea has
already been tried--good or bad news--either would help.  Well, I
better run back down and see if the secondary is still going round
and round.  I sure would hate to ruin it now since it looks pretty
nice with that Behr Super Build 50!

Chuck Curran
Cedarburg, Wisconsin