[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Poly Caps

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996 00:25:05 -0700 Tesla List- Mike Hammer
<mhammer-at-midwest-dot-net> wrote:

>I made 6 separate caps with 6 X 6 plates of heavy duty aluminum >foil.
Each cap had 24 plates. Dielectric was 2 layers of 4 mil >poly. The 6
individual units were wired in series to achieved a >higher voltage
rating. It sets in a homemade tank made from >plywood with a plexiglass
inner liner. Took a little over 1.25 >gallons of oil. The final
capacitance was a little over .008 mfd.
>So far it has performed well on my coil at a little over 1.5 KVA.
>Power is 12kv neons.

Mike, you cap looks a lot like mine only your using thinner polyethylene!

>I planning a bit more ambitious cap for a winter project.
>I would like to do a .0125 mfd cap with a 30 KVAC rating.

I remember an article in a back issue of Popular Electronics that was on
building HV caps for TC's it used PVC pipe for the tank
looked like a good design, I'll see if I can find the issue.

>Lots of work but I have more time than money.

Hay, don't we all!! Besides even if we could afford to just buy
everything there would be no fun and no learning!

                                  Sincerely
                              Alfred A. Skrocki
                           alfred.skrocki-at-juno-dot-com