[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Possible reactance for pole pig

>Howdy,
>
>        I was talking with a fellow who is in the neon
>sign business and I spoke to him of Tesla coils and my
>pole pig that I have not yet used. He told me that he
>has a similar transformer there that he uses to 'charge'
>the neon tubes. He spoke of a device that he called a
>'choke' which is how he limits his current. I asked
>him to describre it further and from what I gather, it
>is a cylindrical heavy coil with a slideable metal
>core through it. He said it was rated at 200 amp and
>cost about $700 new. Has anyone here heard or seen one
>of these? I am going to go down to his shop to see for
>myself. I wonder if this can be used on the pole pig to
>limit current.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Schumann

Those transformers are called bombarders, and some neon places actually use
pole pigs for this.  T&R said they sold a lot of pigs to neon sign
manufacturers.  I'll bet you could use that choke design provided it
matched your pig rating.  Sure wouldn't want to buy one new though, since
an arc welder would be much cheaper.  Still, it would be interesting to see
the design they use, and if it could be homemade.

Charles Brush