[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wine bottle Tesla coils

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Tesla List wrote:

> If I do make a small coil using a wine bottle, I need to cut about 1.5" off
> the neck of the bottle so the small toroid won't be too high.  Does anyone
> know how to cut bottles?  I remember reading that you can take a string
> soaked in lighter fluid, tie it around the bottle, light it and let it burn
> for 10 seconds or so and then dunk in it a bucket of water.  Has anyone tried
> this - or got any better ideas?

BUT hey, glass has a horrible RF-dissipation factor! :) :)

Seriously, you can easily cut glass bottles by first using a file make a
circular groove around the bottle at the place where you wish to cut it
and then you roll wet pieces of newspaper around the groove to both sides
- leave something like 1cm from the groove to the edge of paper. Now,
start heating the groove gently with a propene torch (candle will do too)
and soon the glass will nicely cut along the groove and the pieces
separate. Has worked ok for me several times - those pieces of
bottle make nice containers and funnels..

I hope this helps,

  Kristian.

btw: talking about small coils.. I just wound by hand TWO
resonators, 4cm dia, 10cm long, 0.13mm dia wire!! :) I used
clear acrylic to get them to look fancy inside a oil container
made of clear acrylic plastic.. A table-top magnifier..

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law |