[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Gap

Tesla List wrote:

> >From erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com Thu Dec 12 14:34:02 1996
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 00:45:40 -0400
> From: "George W. Ensley Jr." <erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Rotary Gap
>
> Well my PVC and copper pipe 12 gap gap got dirty and was fireing unreliably
> so i decided to build a rotary. Why clean when you can build right? It is 4
> on the plate and 2 stationary with a 1800 rpm (i'm guessing) induction
> motor. Hooked it up and what a mess.
>
> Now the primary arcs all over the place  i even saw some 2-3 inch stuff down
> around the chokes and pvc & copper gap (now in series/parallel) with the
> rotary. Most of the arcing is from the inner most turn of the primary to the
> base of the secondary.
>
> The wires on the rotary are a little long 2ft so i taped the primary down to
> see if that helped. No luck, it's still arcing though i am getting 4-5 inch
> from the toroid. Down from 19inch.
>
> supply:
> 12kv 120ma neon
>
> primary:
> 11 turn 1/4" copper 1/4" spaced 30deg spiral 13.5" od 4.5"id taped at 11
>
> secondary:
> 1065 #24awg 3.125" form 24" long
>
> caps:
>  24 salt water series/parallel for about .006 uf total.
>
> What's wrong?
> Is this over driven?
> How can i fix it?
> How do gap safety gaps for the ct neon.
>
>   (((())))
>      |  |
>      |  |
>      |  |
>  \\\\\\//////
> -.. . -. ....- --.. .--. ---   --. . --- .-. --. .   . -. ... .-.. . -.--
> GEORGE W. ENSLEY

George -

  Sounds like the gap is firing erratically, ie: not during periods
where the capacitor's energy is at a maximum. I am wondering if perhaps
the mish-mosh of high and low energy bursts are wrecking havoc with
the tuning / coupling.

  What kind of motor is it? There are many types of AC motors - it
sounds like your motor may be sychronous, but it isn't locking into
identical AC waveform points  each time. (For synchronous operation,
you need a salient-pole synchronous motor...)

  Have you considered going to a variable DC motor?

- Brent