[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitors again

        The C&H stuff is way too expensive.  This is about a year
old, but worth trying:

"My understanding is that George Trinkaus has now cornered the
market on these. They are available for $15.00 each including
shipping. Those who are interested may write to:

High Voltage Press, 4326 S.E. Woodstock, #489, Portland
OR  97206  USA   Tel: 503-775-3209

Richard Quick
"
	"These" are 0.004 mfd, 30 kV Sprague "doorknob"
capacitors, which seem to be more nearly 0.003 mfd.  I
bought a bunch of them from Hiway company, later DBA
Nick Andree.  Apparently George bought him out or else
got some from a separate source.  The ones I bought from
George for $15.00 are indentical to the ones I got from
Hiway for $4.50, even same variety of lot numbers.  But,
Hiway/Nick have no more and perhaps George does.  I have
had pretty good luck with them, subject to the following
restrictions:
1. They are lossy enough to get pretty hot when run at
about 700 watts input to three in parallel, when fed
from a 12 kV, 60 ma neon transformer and operating
at about 300 kHz.
2. They are temperature sensitive enough that detuning
is quite apparent, even with 10 degree changes in room
temperature.
However, after one initial bad experience, I haven't
blown any and am using them now with my small coil
because of their convenient size.  The coil is 3" by 16",
solenoidal primary, and runs 24" plus sparks with a
14"OD toroid.  Not particularly spectacular, but does
seem to impress the visitors, and the thing doesn't take
up too much space.
For what it's worth,
Ed