[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: help

Tesla List wrote:

> >From ed-at-alumni.caltech.eduTue Aug  6 21:31:26 1996
> Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 19:22:17 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: help
>
> Re: "Wires through the form"
>         I concur with Richard's advice not to pass the wire through
> to the inside, something I have always done with "radio" coils and
> used to do with TC's, with frequent internal carbon track formation.
>         What I have found conveninet, however, is to use nylon
> screws through the coil to hold the wire ends in place.  Usually
> have the screw head on the inside, hole tapped a little on the tight
> side, and then the screw anointed with epoxy cement and screwed
> into place.  Have had no breakdowns at all from that method, and
> it seems easier than some of the more complicated methods which I
> have seen mentioned here.
> For what it's worth,
> Ed Phillips

Ed, all,

Ed is right along with Richard Quick and others.  This problem is only a
real problem when the spark length output of your coil starts to exceed 4
times the resonator length.  If you have a moderate to good performer, do
what ever you like.  As your performance and skills increase, you will,
and I say will, get the internal break down.  This can be shoved back
with Brent's suggestion of the RTV and bulkheading, but it will not help
once you hit the 4-5 times resonator length sparks.  Breakdown,
internally, will occur!

We have achieved over 9 times our resonator coil's length in output spark
early this year with maggey #11-E, and no breakdown has occurred.  We use
no bulkheads and no coatings on the windings.  All leads are run in slow
spirals to the toroidal loads, outside the tube.

Richard Hull, TCBOR