[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Beating Solved

Tesla List wrote:

> >From tesla-at-america-dot-comTue Aug 27 22:57:57 1996
> Date: Tue, 27 Aug 96 20:00 EDT
> From: Bob Schumann <tesla-at-america-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Beating Solved
>
> Thanks to everybody for the posting on this thread!
> I discovered what the problem was.
>
> First I would like to make some comments on the posts.
>
> [snip from Bert Hickman]
>
>  If you've followed Richard's guidelines of 28 mils per
> gap, and use his rule of thumb of about 2 kV/gap, you might be running
> too great a gap-length for your 9 kV neon. A 12 KV neon will work better
> (once you get a higher voltage/lower loss cap).
>
>  Bert: I went back an re-read the Richard Quick paper a few times. I may
> be wrong but this is how I took it. In the first few sentences, the gap is
> described as 6 - 8kv range and later in the paper I saw the 2kv rule but
> thought this applies if you are also using a rotary gap. I am just using the
> gap by itself. Maybe Richard can clear this one up.
>
> [snip from Richard Hull]
>
> Think about was is going on. The extra gap now takes the firing point
> even higher on the AC input sine. It may even max out at the peak
> and only one pop, sometimes none, are seen per alternation energy
> to the tank is now maximum, but infrequent and, or, intermittent.
> You get long sputtering sparks. Your transformer is also strained
> to the max. Continue operation a neon like this and it's history!
>
> Richard: That is a good point and one worth snipping and saving.
> This may be what was going on but a change I made recently
> has cured the problem and maybe you can comment on this
> in as well put words as your above description.
>
> Here is what I believe may have been the problem:
>
> The cap I was using reads .01 at 30KVDC. It's casing
> is hard white ceramic. It is 6.5 inches long, 1 inch in
> diameter and has studs less than .125 inch diameter.
> My theory is that since it got so hot so quick always
> that the dielectric is not at all suited for TC application
> and that its role in life was a a filter type capacitor
> and that it hated life while it was in my system. Because....
>
> (Here is the great news....................)
>
> My CP caps came in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I hooked the .01 CP cap up to my system and it was
> the difference between tiddly winks and discus throwing!!
> I have achieved my longest sparks to date 14" from this
> system. Still with all 6 gaps employed, all the sputtering
> went away. This cap has balls. I even added more torroid
> to it and beside the long spark, I have leakge from the lower
> torroid. All the difference in the world. I know with your
> great achievements that 14" sparks is no feat, but for me
> I had a great moment of achievment!!!
>
> Thanks all again for comments,
>
> Bob Schumann

Bob,

Well, I guess I've spent too much time too close to my coil and have
scrambled some of the data I had stored in my memory banks! You are
absolutely correct - the 2 KV rule of thumb IS when used in conjunction
with a rotary. Glad to see you got your system running properly now! If
you go to a little higher voltage or current in your HV source, you'll
probably be hitting 2-3 feet in no time!

Safe coilin' to ya!

-- Bert --