[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3/4 wavelength error

<<
 Depending on the drive transformer which I happen to be using, I have been
most
 successful in using a cap that is matched to the transformer using the
classical
 formula. When using a 15kv 120 ma unit, I use a .021 mfd. My best input
power to
 discharge ratio has been when using a 720 va transformer which produces 48"
discharges.
 I cannot figure out why I have been unable substantially increase the
discharges when
 going to higher power.

 Skip >>

Skip,

Using 12,000 volts at 120 ma (about twice your power) I had about 50"
discharges.  Now using a 5kva pole pig I can only get 80" discharges, even
with the pig cranked up to 7 or 8 kva.  I think it is a function of the
physical properties of the coil.  With a particular coil geometry, I think as
you steadily increase input power, you finally reach a point of diminishing
returns where more power in provides little increase in secondary discharges.

I think if I went from the present 6.0" dia secondary up to 8.0" or 10.0", at
the same power level, I would see a large increase in discharge length.

Ed Sonderman