[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Returned mail: too many hops 26 (17 max): from <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com> via relay4.UU.NET, to <vince-at-vmar-dot-com>

The original message was received at Tue, 27 Aug 1996 08:06:53 -0700

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 22:25:01 -0600
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: TC primary wiring

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:40:49 -0700
From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

> > > Subject: TC primary wiring
> > Subject: Re: TC primary wiring
> > > Subject: TC primary wiring
>
> >From major-at-vicksburg-dot-comFri Aug 23 22:25:45 1996
> Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 08:16:17 -0500
> From: RODERICK MAXWELL <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: TC primary wiring

> > > Subject: TC primary wiring
> >
> > >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comThu Aug 22 21:57:42 1996
> > Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:58:18 -0700
> > From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: TC primary wiring

> > > Date: Wed, 21 Aug 96 18:30:49 BST
> > > From: Julian Green <julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk>
> > > To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> > > Subject: TC primary wiring
> > >
> > > I hope this is not a stupid question, but I was pondering the other day how I
> > > might save the windings of a neon sign transformer from getting the full
> > > back lash from the primary.  This problem seems to get worse when the quench
> > > time of the spark gap is shortened.
> > >
> > > The wiring of most TC primary circuits has the spark gap across the transformer
> > > and the capacitor in series with the primary.   Why not swap the spark gap for
> > > the capacitor so the capacitor is across the HV transformer output, and spark gap
> > > in series with the TC primary.  This way the high RF voltage generated by the
> > > TC primary will be isolated from the HV transformer output when spark gap is
> > > quenched.
> > >
> > > Perhaps all this is of no consiquence if you have good RF chokes.
> > >
> > > I have tried this both ways on my coil and it has no effect on the spark length.
> > >
> > > Julian Green
> >
> > Julian,
> >
> > You have just decimated the argument of D.C. Cox's article in the TCBA
> > News of late!!  Great! I love it!  You see, there are arguments and
> > proposed schemes for both methods of placement of the gap and cap!  None
> > Work!!!!  The neon is doomed!!  It is the transformer construction itself
> > coupled with the service it is placed in by we coilers, and not the
> > placement of components which kill the transformer.
> >
> > All coilers have their pet theories on this matter.  Many swear their
> > method of protection is the best.  Those who say -"I have been using my
> > method for a year and the transformer still lives"- are probably just
> > prudent coilers and run their system in an unstrained and synergistic
> > manner for a few seconds or more at a time.  This is the best way to
> > protect a transformer!  Those who kill transformers with regularity are
> > either new to the game and have not learned the synergistic methodology,
> > or believe that 4 minute continuous run times for a table top system are
> > the norm.
> >
> > Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
>    Excuse me for butting in but what kind of run times can you expect
> with a pole pig transformer?

With out being flippant, .01 second to 100 hours maximum, before total
destruction!

No input data!!

A small 6" tall coil with a .002ufd cap powered by a 10KVA pole pig using
a two point tungsten static gap carefully ballasted back to the 20 watt
level producing 6" sparks might run 1 year- non-stop!

A 4 foot diameter coil, 20' tall with a rotary using zinc points and a
1ufd tank cap might last a fraction of a second.

In general pole transformers can survive about 10,000% longer in a well
proportioned system than a neon tranaformer.  This assumes a lot of good,
positive things about the builder/user!!!!  (always a sucker bet)

My advice:
Blow up at least 10 neons and oil burner xfrmers before getting a pig!
You'll leran more with a higher probability of be around around to take
delivery on the the pig.

Richard Hull, TCBOR