[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New to the group

Tesla List wrote:

> >From chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-comMon Aug 19 23:02:23 1996
> Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 21:41:11 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: New to the group
>

> Hi all,
>
>         I'm new to tesla coil building. I would like to start my first coil
> but I living in a small town with limited resources. I have checked all the
> local stores and can find almost all that is needed for a first coil. The two
> concerns that I have are the driver and HV transformer. First, does each
> driver need to be custom built for each coil? or can on driver controll
> several different coils. If one driver can controll several different coils
> where can I get plans for one that will last.  Second where are the best
> places you have found to buy transformers? I am like many colledge students
> w/ more time than money and want to get all the building correct the first
> time. Thanks in advance for any imput and or suggestions.
>
> Nathan Howard
> <<<
>
> Do you intend to build a tube or solid state coil?  If not, I'm not sure
> what you mean by driver.
>
> The Richards both suggest going to neon sign shops and going through
> their "trash" heap of dead neons.  Perhaps one of them can elaborate.

For the beginner, buy a used neon sign transformer!  the dead ones are
usually free, but require knowledge and a lot of messy work to restore.
The used ones should never cost more than $30.00 each!  We get ours for
$10.00 each.  Find the right neon place and you are home free.  Chip is
right... under no circumstances, or for any reason, at any time, purchase
a new neon sign transformer!!!!!!  (can you say rip-off)

R. Hull. TCBOR

> Whatever you do, don't buy a new neon sign transformer until you have
> exhausted all your resources.  They are an expensive lesson in fragility.
> (I got burned this way myself :-( )  If you wish to repair one, there are
> probably several people on the list that would ship you a blown neon to
> fix and use.  All you would have to do is pay shipping.  I have a 12kV
> (60 ma I think) that I could send.

Ouch!  The shipping on a blown 60ma neon will be about twice what we
often pay for a working used one!  You gotta be desperate to ship
transformers!! Good luck!
R. Hull

 (I use 15kV for my system)