[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary tubing

Tesla List wrote:

> >From DELCOKEVIN-at-aol-dot-comWed Aug 21 21:16:37 1996
> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:16:12 -0400
> From: DELCOKEVIN-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Primary tubing
>
> Hi All,
>
> I was pondering on the building of my new primary coil that is being made out
> of 1" dia soft copper tubing. I thought I could save space by flattening the
> tubing first, possibly using 2 rollers and a crank of some sort.
> Does anyone see a problem with this idea, before I flatten my Cu investment?
>
> Kevin M. Conkey

Kevin,

It is okay to do this and wind up with an oblate shaped primary winding,
but the sharper radius of curvature sort of defeats some of the reason
for using the 1" pipe.  Also, wind your primary and then flaten the pipe
or you'll never bend it into a circle again.  Round pipe bends
rather uniformly- oblate does not!  It you truly squash it flat, it will
never bend again!

Bottom line-  If you don't have the space for 1" round tubing, don't use
it.  Keep all pipe primaries "round".  If you need more surface area, use
banded material (flatened already).

Richard Hull, TCBOR