[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: CP Cap Purchase

>>From JParisse-at-DDLabs-dot-comSat Aug 31 10:34:13 1996
>Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 20:15:02 -0700
>From: "Jeff W. Parisse" <JParisse-at-DDLabs-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: CP Cap Purchase

>All,

>I'm ready to purchase CP cap(s) for my coil and I just have a couple of
>questions...

>My choice is between one .05uf 20kv cap or two .1uf 10kv caps (in series on each
>side of the primary). Since I have two transformers in series with the center tap
>grounded, it would seem ideal to use two caps for a balanced primary...

              .1
HVAC  O---|---| |----)            Supply Voltage: 10Kv -at- 300ma
      (   |          )
GND   O   *SG        } Primary
      (   |          )
HVAC  O---|---| |----)
              .1

>Are there shortcommings to this approach? I'm assuming that the main advantage is
>that 60Hz is filtered from the primary coil...   ...Jeff

Jeff,

Yes there are two shortcomings to this approach, it costs more money
to buy two capacitors, and with a single cap circuit in series with
the transformer (gap) and the primary coil there is a circuit in
place that automatically discharges the cap so you will never get a
shock, in case you ever forget.  On a two cap system you have to
deliberately discharge each cap with a special shorting wand, every
time.

Let God worry about the small scale symmetry of the universe.

My recommended circuit:

                          RFC                0.05 mfd -at- 20kV
HVAC  0---l----wwww------l------) (-------l
                   l                          l                     )
                   l                          0                    )
                   *                    rotary                 )
            safe-T gap               gap                  )  pri.
                    l                         l                     )
                    l      RFC           l                     l

Good luck, rwstephens