[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging Next

>From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: More Tuning/Debugging Next
>

>I want to second some of Jim's comments here.  I had my coil working quite
>well at one point and then decided to shorten all the primary interconnects
>and change the wire to all copper tubing except the tap lead.  When I tried
>to run it again, the gaps would not even fire.  By accident, I found the
>system would run good if I removed the resistance that I had been using in
>parallel with the welder - which worked great before, and now would not work
>at all.  I am still having problems with this.  The configuration of the AC
>power system feeding the primary definately must be "tuned" (probably not the
>right word here) to the primary.  Richard Quick calls this a synergistic
>tuning of the primary.

Ed,
	Do be careful running without resistive ballast. I've taken
out 2 microprocessor controlled lamp switches in my house during my
ballast testing. Both were small off the line powered time or movement
switches and both probably went when I was testing inductive only
ballast. (not sure at what stage of test the went, but my TC didn't
take them out and they were dead after my ballast test without the TC
connected) I think that the cause was running the inductive ballast
without a dampening resistor to lessen the flyback into the mains that
caused their failure. At 60Hz, the 2 RFI filters in series were of no
use. I have seen hot 1/8"? arcs from my ballast inductor to my RFI
filter case (earth ground) when I "misplaced" the inductor next to the
filter.

During testing, I had to place a 23uF motor start cap from
line-to-line after my RFI filters and before the ballast to prevent
the RFI filters from shorting. It was a 3 phase filter, 2 phases are
now shorted together.

If I remember correctly, you were using multiple oven elements for
resistive ballast? try using fewer elements. This will reduce the
dampening of your arc welders inductance.

	jim