[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Addendum-DC Tesla

[I saw in magazine, I believe Electronics and Wireless World, that
somebody is developing integrated circuit technology based on field
emmision.  Basically extremely small vacuum tubes
photolithographically made on some substrate.  Because the geometries
are so small, field emmision occurs at very low voltages (remember
freshman physics- equation for E between two plates) comparable to TTL
supply voltages.  Thus no filament is needed.
   Because carrier is electrons, very high speed is possible. and high
impedence]

Back to the DC generated by Tesla coils:  there are many
possibilities, notwithstanding electrochemical and the imbalance of
ions around the conductor due to the work function of the metal to air
interface. Remember the work function for ejecting electrons occurs in
a vacuum in vacuum tubes, and occurs in solid state systems-
semiconductor junctions, so its not too crazy to believe that it
occurs between metal and some component of intermediate density
between vacuum and solid.

Rob.