[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifier questions

Tesla List wrote:

> >From julian-at-kbss.bt.co.ukFri Aug 16 13:36:01 1996
> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 96 10:41:20 BST
> From: Julian Green <julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Magnifier questions
>

> >> Also if the resonant frequency of a magnifier is the lumped tune of both coils then
> >> the voltage rise must be greater in the first coil (in volts per turn) than in
> >> the resonator due to standing wave 1/4 wave.  Current being 90 degrees out of phase
> >> with voltage and current at a maximum means large gradiant in voltage.
> >

> >Wrong!  The greatest rise always occurs in the resonator. RH.
>
> Is there any resonant voltage rise present in the secondary of the driver, or does
> it just obey the turns ratio rule?
>
> >From the test run I did last weekend I still think I should re-wind the secondary
> of the driver coil with thicker wire and fewer turns.  About 100.  Would you say
> that Im in the right track?
>
> Julian Green

Julian,

Yes you are on the right track.  If the magnifier is treated as a lumped
tuned system, yes, there is rise.  If it is a separate driver then the
turns ratio comes into play.  Either way, the voltage on a properly
constructed driver will be a small fraction of the system output voltage.

Hopefully, never more than 10 times the AC inout.

Richard Hull, TCBOR