[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Safety FAQ is here -- draft, asking for comments.

Richard wrote -

>I have reviewed a number of special slow-motion segments of maggy #11 and
>Nemesis.  In a number of hits, the arc channel did not rise more than
>2-4 inches and the arc waxed and waned four or five times over 28 frames
>(28/30 of a second) while the tip of the arc contact on the aluminum
>siding (grounded) moved under 2 inches.  I don't think the rising spark
>has anything to do with the final ultimate break.  The bit about the
>resonator failing to store the magnetic energy as the channel heats up
>sounds good, though.  This probably cuts the power back causing
>successive waxings and wanings.  Still, what causes that final shutdown
>and failure to restrike along a good path that is pre-ionized?  Seems
>like some charge depletion or saturation effect to me.

Richard et al,

Isn't this where Physics kicks in?  I think the minute the arc strikes and
energy is released, both in the discharge but also in the fact that the ions
give off a photon and jump to a LOWER energy level, thus taking longer to
charge this area.  Meanwhile the arc builds and discharges to another, more
preferable area now sufficiently charged.  I wonder if this would show in
video in total darkness?  The only light would be from the coil itself.
This is the best time to view the coils.  I guess that's why I love to do
this kind of stuff...

What are your thoughts on this?
(Still wading through all these messages, I've been out of town for almost a
week.)
Later,
*** Magic Bill ***