From: tesla
To: Tesla-List-Subscribers
Subject: Magnetic Spark Gap...
Date: Friday, April 19, 1996 9:00AM

>From richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org Fri Apr 19 01:12 MDT 1996
From: richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org (Richard Quick)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 03:40:00 GMT
To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com

 * Original msg to: Tchand-at-slip-dot-net

Quoting Tim Chandler <tchand-at-slip-dot-net>:

> I have read through all the RQMSGS that I have and I was
> wondering if you have by chance ever experimented with the
> magnetically quenched spark mechanism, that was mentioned
> breifly in the spark gap sections. If not do you know of anyone
> who has, by chance?

Richard Hull has extensive practical experience with EMag gaps.

> I am currently tinkering around with a little make-shift setup
> consisting of little more than a cylindrical EMag., an airblast
> type spark gap (minus the "air"), and a power supply for the
> EMag.  I have had very limited results, to say the least.

> Any ideas for better results?

I used the existing frame of my old single air-blast gap (minus
air) with two poly insulatated rare-earth permanent magnets
mounted in between. The magnets were strong enough to remain
suspended across the gap when carefully positioned on synthetic
line (plastic string, cord, etc.). This gap demonstrated the
ability of a mag field to quench, but also illuminated a number
of design difficulties.

Richard Hull has documented on video a working EMag gap that is
quite functional, perhaps he would expound on this and reference
the video report that contains the valuable information on the
construction, tuning, and operation of his gap design?

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12