[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help in calculations

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996 21:25:01 -0600, Tesla List
<tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>, you wrote:

>> Subject: Re: Help in calculations
>
>>From sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-comMon Apr 29 20:38:30 1996

><< Big snip >>
>>

>I am setting up a second srg which will run in parallel with a the
>first gap. By adjusting the firing point of each srg separately I will be
>able to cause 2 firings per half cycle and I will be able to adjust
>exactly when each firing will occur. This may help to show if 2 firings
>per cycle will process more power. If it works, it will bw a simple
>matter to implement the extra contacts on a single rotor. I would still
>like a mathmatical solution to this problem.
>
>Skip Greiner

Skip,
	rather than build a second srg put a second set of contacts on
your stator. Visualize this, align your rotor and stator contacts. Now
change your reference plane from the aligned contacts to those closest
to being 90 degrees from them. Pick a point on your stator half way
between your 90 degree points and the 90 + 360/n points (forgot how
many you are using). Put these 2 stator points in parallel with your
original stator points, your now have twice the bps.

	comments? thoughts? snide remarks?

Also, thank your for your previous post on building a srg, I built one
this weekend. I used a 1hp 1750 rpm induction motor:( Bad choice, even
if I did have it laying around. One can dramatically see the slippage
between its speed and the mains frequency as a 4 second beat period!

Right now, it's working poorly with my pig, I think, because of poor
makeshift ballasting. I'm getting 2.5" power arcs on it.

After that poor result, I connected up my neon, 15kV -at-60 mA. using
only 1/2 of the secondary. 24" straight line arcs (measured) on only
7.5kV -at- 60mA !!!!!  I think you've got a winner here.

	Regards,

	jim