[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: re: Bipolar question ?MOSFETS

>I'm tinkering with the idea of building a coil driver
>using a pile of MOSFETS

>At work I work on switching power supplies that use
>MOSFETS to switch as much as 500W at as much as 90%

>Has any one looked at using these things to drive a coil?

Yes, I was inspired by Mark Barton's account of a 10kW FET coil
(400v full bridge) driving a traditional primary, secondary arrangement.
giving 3' - 4' of electrical flame!

I am not an electronics professional and I've been struggling to get to
grips with PWM control, snubbing, current limiting, gate capacitance.....
even so I've managed to get to about 100w output giving a 3" - 4" arc.
(Despite building with stripboard). I'm aiming at 500w, which I hope
will give a 10" arc.

The other way to do it is to put the FET output into a step up transformer,
giving say 1kV, one end to earth, other end to the magnifier coil.
Often refered to as "bottom feeding" but that name is an enima to
me!

You should be able to do this very easily.

Alan Sharp (UK)