[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Toroid breakout power requirements

Skip,

There is a very complex relationship between power input and toroid size
which determines the break out point of spark.  I doubt that it could be
codified mathematically, except under rigidly control circumstances.  Since
we are talking power, this would ultimately be controlled by the resonator
and its inductance which creates the voltage collected on the toroid.  The
rate of delivery of the power is controlled by the spark gap's rep rate.
 All of these are variables in the overall equation.  Throw in the air
density (pressure) and temperature, humidity,  local capacitive effects by
nearby items, and the whole idea of computing this factor becomes a
nightmare.  I find that the bulk of the resonator seems to also influence
the power required for larger toroids to break out.  I am sure this relates
to the self capacitance of the coil and related losses within the coil
itself.  More complications.

It is obvious that an isolated toroid in free air would have a rather simple
formula for breakout "voltage".  This is not the case, however, with bulk
systems.   Power is required to reach a certain voltage within the
resonator.  The bottom line is that some specific power input must be
applied in a given system with given parameters before breakout can occur.

On our current system, maggy #11, which has a 45" toroid, we see sparks
start to break out at about 4 KW.  The better the electrostatic field
control within a system, the more power is required for breakout.  Note that
grandpa's coils with zero electrostatic field control (needle point
termnal), sparked with only a few watts.

Richard Hull, TCBOR
From: tesla
To: 73041.2215; 73663.1536; BrittB7556; JHERRON; JOHNBATES3; abourass;
atech; av599; davide; funkadelic; jbiehler; jmonty; kg7bz; koppemha; logue;
mackte; nwtnmike; osburnw; pinsky; richardh; rmessick; rnicker; rwstephens;
shu95mmc; stevej; twill19; yiorgos
Subject: Toroid breakout power requirements
Date: Monday, April 08, 1996 1:02PM