[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Overdriving potential transformers

> I would think you could overdrive it by at least 50%.  My 5kva pole pig
> does not even get warm at 8.5kva.  Does your potential transformer
> get warm at 1.5

I don't know, but I would be surprised if it would get very warm at all.
The 1.5kVA rating is for 24 hrs/day, 365.25 days/year continuously.

Up till now, I've been working with neon sign transformers and the PT
has just been sitting in my garage for the past year.   I've finally
decided to take the step up in power and now I'm working a current
limiting variable inductor and a gap system that can handle the PT.

Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)