[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Blown Neon transformers

 * Original msg to: Jwatson-at-students.uwf.edu

Quoting Jim Watson <jwatson-at-students.uwf.edu>:

> I completed my large transformer today, and two of the four
> neon transformers went bad after just a few minutes of
> operation.  I was using four 15kV neon transformers in
> parallel... The spark gap consists of two cylinder gaps in
> series with a rotary gap.

If you are running a rotary gap on a coil powered by neon sign
transformer you are simply begging the neon to fail.

I don't know how many times I have posted about this:

Neons or other shunt core transformer don't need rotary spark
gaps. By placing a rotary gap on a coil powered with these
transformers you are asking for trouble in the form of a failure.
These transformers actually deliver better performance with high
quality static gaps.

Save the rotary for a pole pig, potential, or plate type power
supply the requires external current limiting.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12