[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Welding rods/inductors

>I am not clear on this one yet.  Are we talking arc welding rods?
>The arc welding rods I am familiar with are about 18 inches long
>and are coated with flux. I think they are mild steel.

	Welding rods come in a variety of steels, to match the material
	being welded.  They are specced for WELDING, so getting
	electrical (magnetic...) data is likely to be tricky.  A welding
	supplier will have a variety of rod materials to choose from.  In
	the practical world, its probably better to try something than
	worry about the details.  "Welding rods" can be used either with
	gas welding or arc welding.  If a sufficient supply of old
	coat hangars, or iron wire or ...  was handy, try it.  If using
	"gas" rods (less likely to have flux on them) I would consider
	insulating them (justa quick paint dip, nothing fancy, the
	voltages are low....) as this will reduce eddy current losses.

	In doing a pro design, at these power levels, a mag amp sort of
	approach would be my guess, BUT they are real tricky, even for experts
	(which i am not).  A movable core, of salvaged laminations, or
	welding rods seems a neat approach & is used in some conventional
	work at power frequencies.

	The inductance is set by the amount of core AND by the air gap.  A
	small air gap will drop the inductance tremendously, then, assuming
	a movable core, the inductance will drop further as the core is
	withdrawn.  Design details, for a math approach, will be in any good
	Electrical Engineers Handbook, tho they will ASSume that the mag
	characteristics of the core materials are known.

	regards
	dwp