[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Of Flat Spirals & sparks thru the core

>> 2) How do you get the primary into a flat spiral? Again, I seem to
>> have managed, but it was a royal pain.

>This one is accomplished with pure time. It is not easy, and neither
>is coil building. Wait until you wrestle a 100 foot length of 1/2 or
>3/4 inch tubing into a 15 turn flat spiral. It takes not days... but
>weeks or even months before the conductor is "trained".
	Maybe this is olde knowledge, but in case....
	One trikc for this class of work is to fab a jig.  The details will
	depend ion the materials lying around, but consider two sheets of
	plywood (or whatever) spaced teh neccesary (pipe od) apart (wood blocks
	or anything.)  Start be setting one end of the pipe at the ID of the
	finishes coil, mount the other piec of plywood and work the pipe in
	between.  Best of some sort of pivoting mount on the center of the
	coil form.  The "jig" gets tossed, so need not be NEAT but
	must be STURDY.  Keeping tubing from collapsing while bending, in my
	observation means either filling it with something (sand is one trick)
	OR doing the bending inside a form fitting and strong guide (eg: like
	a conduit bender which i will explain if needed....).  I should think
	the sand could be LEFT IN, in this case, as the current will flow on
	the outside anyway....  One iffy thing is getting the spacing, perhaps
	interwinding a piece of rope of the appropriate dia or a piece of
	garden hose or.....

	Is it possible that sparks down the cor indicate (preferential) build
up of ionized gas?  If heated & leaking out the top, this might constitute a
"conductor" back down to the other end.  On the outside of the core, the ionized
gases wil drift away with ambient air currents.  "stuck" inside the HT core,
perhaps they build up?

(A test, if of interest, might be to force air thru an assembly known to spark
down the middle & see if this reduces the sparking there.)

	regards
	dwp