[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Strange Noises

 * Original msg to: Smangels-at-deltanet-dot-com
 * Carbons sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting smangels-at-deltanet-dot-com (Stephen Mangels):

> Being a beginner at coil building I need to know if there is
> anyway my small coil powered by a 12kv 30ma neon transformer
> could cause damage to my house.  As I was experimenting with
> the thing in my garage (located below a 2nd floor bedroom) I
> noticed that each time I powered up and then shut down I could
> hear what sounded like water pipes banging elsewhere in the
> house. My wife came out demanding an explanation as to what was
> happening and wanted to know if could there be a chance that my
> otherwise inocent hobby could cause a ruptured water pipe seam
> and flood us out.  I wonder this myself.

A coil could conceivably cause damage, but not the type you are
alluding to. A fire hazard possibly, accidental trips of smake
detectors, possibly, strange knocks in the walls... highly
improbable. As you mentioned, this sounds more like a  polter-
geists?

> Could this be related to a poor ground?

Doubtful.

> I've followed the discussions regarding RF grounds and have to
> confess that my system does not have an independent RF ground
> at this point.  I was assuming that an RF ground is needed for
> larger systems. I've collected several published references
> (Couture, Pringle, Iannini, Trinkaus) showing plans for
> building coils and none of them discuss even in passing using
> an RF ground.  Are these writers omitting the RF ground because
> the systems they describe are too small to warrant one?

Beats me. When I have asked, I am not given a response. I do know
for a fact that very simple experiments designed to test the
efficiency and effectiveness of RF ground systems show beyond a
doubt that they are a required on high powered coils, and very
desirable on smaller systems.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12