[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pole Transformer Sources

Hi Everyone,

I finally got tired of the transformer shopping and bought a pole pig.  After
getting no response ( again ) from the Transformer Bank, I ordered mine from
Solomon Corp. for $280, delivered.  It is a 14400 VAC secondary with taps, 2
cover (top) bushings (Delta, Conventional), 120/240 VAC primary, 10 KVA , oil
filled, pole mount transformer with a 1 year warranty.  (Of course, our
secondary is their primary.)

I should have it in early January.

This purchase was the results of an exhaustive ( and I mean exhaustive ) search
for transformer rebuilders/refurbishers in the Northwest and East Central
sections of the US.  I'm sure that I have missed some companies in my area that
offer transformers.  The problem with these guys is that the don't advertise.
Different municipalities originally gave me the information on where to find
them.

The 2 companies that I found most responsive were:

Solomon Corporation
P. O. Box 245
Solomon, KS 67480
Watts:  (800) 243-2867
Telephone (913) 655-2191
Fax (913) 655-2502

T & R Electric
P. O. Box 180
Colman, SD 57017
Watts (800) 843-7994

Solomon stocks 10 KVA refurbished pole pigs.  They also do rebuilding and custom
winding.  Their price included delivery because they happen to have a truck that
commonly runs to my town.

T & R claims to be the largest transformer dealer in the country.  They only
deal in completely rebuilt units, and have a 3 year warranty.  The price for a
rebuilt one of the same specs as above from T & R is $295, not including
delivery.  If you get to an order in excess of $1000, they throw the delivery
in.

In my search, I found a least a dozen other companies sold these transformers.
Most of them either had too high of a price or wouldn't help and individual.

I want to point out that those that have seen the Transformer Bank as a supplier
can cross them off their list.  The Transformer Bank is a brokerage that really
doesn't want to get involved in selling one off.  They don't even have a central
stocking location.  They search the country for municipalities and buy
transformers surplus in great quantities.  They then sell them in lots.
Generally, they are not interested in selling any less that 10 pieces in the
small 10 KVA size.  It just happened that a few years ago they got a REALLY good
deal on some surplus from GE and had them in stock.  A fluke, or so they told
me.

If your looking for a pole transformer and want a warranty, give one of the
companies above a call.  The will help you out.

Scott Myers