[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Powerstats and smaller variacs

Concerning Powerstats and smaller variacs;

To: Steven Roys, Mark Napier and everyone.

Steven Roys wrote;

>What are the specs on the larger 240V variacs you have access to and
>what are the prices?

Mark Napier wrote;

>I am interested in one of those 1256D's.  Are there any
>more available and how much are they?  I must have missed the original
>post on this opportunity.
>What is the amperage rating?

These are the units I supplied recently to several people here.  There are a few
left.  They are 240 VAC, 28 amperes continuous, with control wheel, indicator
and 0-100% scale.  Shipping weight is around 80 lbs.  The price I charged was
$150.00 each, including shipping.

I was back there yesterday talking to them about the smaller units.  The owner
(who I dealt with originally) was not there.  His assistant told me the owner
was upset about my purchase of the original units.  You would have to meet the
owner.  He is about 70 years old and gruff as they come.  Seems he is upset he
let 8 of them go so cheaply.  Seller's remorse, I guess.  The assistant told me
he often got this way after selling something in quantity.  Anyway, his
assistant tried to charge me $50.00 for a 20 amp, 120 VAC unit.  At first he had
said $30 was ok, then he raised it!  He was even a little rude.  After getting
the big ones so cheaply ($100), it was hard for me to swallow $50 for the little
one.  So, I didn't buy one.  I figured $30 would be a fair price.  After all,
they are old and used.  The guys that bought the big ones from me received them
in a somewhat "cleaned" condition.  They were completely covered in dust and
dirt when I picked them up.  If these smaller units were cleaned up completely
and sitting on a shelf somewhere, they could command a higher price.  But as it
is, I have to wander for a while in an old, unheated, dirty watehouse to find
anything.  I them have to clean anything that I buy before I can use it.

For you guys that got in on the original purchase, consider yourself lucky.

The bottom line is this; If you are interested in a large variac, let me know.
I'll see if he will let them go for the original price.  If not, it may be more.
Perhaps as much as $200, with shipping.  They are over $700 new.  It is still a
good deal, just not as good as the first time around.

On the small 10, 20 and 30 amp variacs, how much do you guys see them for at
surplus stores, hamventions, etc.?  I don't want to be taken in.  If $50 is a
fair price, I'll hand it over.  If not, I'll walk away.

Let me know.
Scott Myers