[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Coil Recommendation

 * Original msg to: Ccurran-at-earth.execpc-dot-com

Quoting Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-earth.execpc-dot-com>:

> I just found the Tesla page at http://www.eskimo-dot-com and
> found it has really created an interest for me.  I have built
> two coils already, one in 1966 and the other in 1972.  I would
> like your recommendation for the appropriate schematic for a
> next step up for me.  I read many of the posted articles and
> also got a subscription sent in yesterday to the Tesla Coil
> Builders Association but I would find comments from a
> "builder" very helpful.

How much spark are you looking for?

> I have a business associate who sells switch gear,
> distribution transformers and pole pigs of all types and I can
> get a very good price on this line of equipment(the pole pigs
> only!) if that would be a reasonable path.

It is most reasonable and economical for medium -> large coils.

> I already have a Stancor plate transformer with a 5000 volt
> secondary at 1/2 amp sitting in a dusty corner of the basement
> from past Amateur Radio projects, but today I don't know the
> best transformer secondary voltage (Help!).

Generally we work with between 12kv - 20kv inputs into the Tesla
tank circuit. Many people have found that 14.4kv, 120/240, 10kva
pole pigs are ideal for medium-large coil projects. The plate
transformer is only useful if you have another that matches it;
the two transformers can then be placed in series for 10kv out.
It so happens I have a single Stancor 5000 volt -at- 1/2 amp plate
transformer in storage... waiting patiently for a mate. You know
how heavy these things are, so shipping eats up a bit of the
value. Still I would be willing to entertain an offer, or I would
be equally willing to make one.

> I also work for an electric motor manufacturing company, where
> I can purchase copper wire at cost from size 12 to 30 gauge in
> any quantity needed.

Coiling most certainly uses up a bit of wire.

> I could be patient and wait and read through lots of
> inappropriate data, but if you might steer me to the best
> possible source of information I would save some time.  Thank
> You in advance for your time.

I can't really get concrete until I get an idea of the spark
length you are looking for and the power level you would be
comfortable working with. Perhaps you could elaborate on your
older projects and speculate on the size leap you wish to make.
Pole pig coiling means rotary gaps, heavy current limiting, heavy
variacs, etc.. The expense is certainly greater, but so is the
spark. In the Tesla list run by Chip Atkinson we frequently
scrounge for surplus and/or used equipment in quantity and pool
our resources for substantial discounts. If you are not already a
member of this list then please send an E-Mail message to Chip at

                 chip-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com

Simply request that you be added to his list, it is done manually
so there is no need to use any specific format. Also, I reserve
the right to forward, cross-post and carbon messages and replies
to various appopriate lists unless I am specifically requested
not to and/or the message is obviously of a personal nature.
Chip's group really works as a forum for high performance Tesla
coil design and operation, we have established a new standard in
RF power processing efficiency in 1/4 wave Tesla coils and are
about to really get our feet wet in Tesla Magnifiers.

The Tesla group archive <tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com> is online. The
ftp-site is nic.funet.fi  alias  ftp.funet.fi and this site can
be connected using anon-ftp. The files are in the directory
/pub/sci/electrical/tesla and it's subdirectories. I would
suggest you D/L the COILBLD.ZIP file from the archive to get a
look at my secondary design methods.

Richard Quick

 to me (or

. The