[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New discharger

cc: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com

Richard,

I am in the process of building a new discharger.  I also bought another
copper ground rod.  I want to get both of these installed and see how much I
can get out of this coil at 720 watts before I start adding transformers.
 Right now, I'm sure I can achieve 6.0 ft discharges with 2kva.

I have some questions about the discharger vs frequency.  There must be a
direct corrolation between the size (surface area) of the discharger and its
isotropic capacitance.  My existing discharger is 14.0" in dia. and the
outside ring is 4.0" wide.  The new one will be 33.0" in dia. and the ring
will be 5.0" wide.  I am guessing I will have 3 to 4 times the surface area.
 Anybody got a formula to calculate the surface area of a toroid?

Let me explain what I think is happening and you can straighten me out.  I
calculate the resonate frequency of one tank capacitor or two in series at
various turns on the primary.  For example two caps in series is .009mfd, 14
turns on the primary is 82 microheneries.  This calculates to 185khz.  The
quarter wave frequency of the secondary calculates to 154khz.  So adding the
existing 14" discharger brings the resonate frequency down by 30khz -
correct?  My goal is to build a large enough discharger to I can tune this
thing at 14 turns (maximum primary windings in use) with both caps in
parallel (.036mfd).  Is this realistic?  How can I drive the resonate
frequency down below the quarter wave frequency of the secondary?  I
calculate the frequency that I want to operate to be 93khz.

Thanks,  Ed Sonderman