Date: Sun, 26 Mar 1995 20:25:55 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Kristian Tapani Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-snakemail.hut.fi>
To: Richard Quick <richard.quick-at-slug.st-louis.mo.us>
Subject: Tesla coils etc.

Hello again!

I've got my secondary ready - I decided to use a 4inch diameter coil
for this first version, so I've got about 55cm of winding - it's about
600-700 rounds of #21 which is a bit low but should work.. I've get poly-
propylene foil in about a week for my capasitor and will be able
to test the system after making the cap.. The cap will be a stacked
version with 1.5mm thick pp per di-electric..

My problem is that I'm building a pulsed dye-laser as well and I found
a cheap source for a capasitor with 44uF 5.5kVDC rating which equals
about 500 joules.. BUT, the physical volume of this cap is only
about 500cm^3 (half a liter) and it's originally used in a
heart defibrillator.. (!) It sounds a bit small to be a capasitor for
real pulse-discharging use.. What do you think?

Do you know what is the cost of a pulse-discharging (laser) cap with
similar ratings in surplus?

Another interesting thing about your experiment at transferring
energy though ground conduction - would it work if the transmitting
coil would be inside a grounded Faraday's cage? If so, would there
not be enormous losses because of inductive heating of the cage etc.?

If memory serves you said that with 2kW transmitting coil you could
light bulbs at a distance of quarter mile.. Would this mean like
a 100+ watts of power received?

Here's a quote from the other tesla-list:
> >itself.  Would not a grounded faraday cage "short out" a TC, since
> >ground terminal of the TC goes to the same place as the cage, so gr
> >is electrically being brought up to surround the TC and shield its

What do you think?

This is becoming interesting as there are quite negative articles
about this at the other tesla-list..

I do believe in your experiments though..

Yours,

  Kristian.

ps. an idea for a really cheap amp-meter : just about any (analog) meter
one can get - remove internal resistors and measure the resistance of
the meter and measure the voltage that makes the meter show maximum
at it's scale (.15V 3.8ohms for my meter) - after this you will
use the meter to measure the voltage-drop at a resistor (piece of
metallic wire) and this voltage drop is U=RI, so it's directly
proportional to the current going through the resistor.. Voila!
We have a current-meter.. And for ac-measures one will add a
rectifier.. To clear things up : the resistor is wired in series
with the circuit whose current wish to measure..

Does this work? :)

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law  |
| kukkonen-at-alpha.hut.fi  |           Fear is the mind-killer               |

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12