[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TESLA COILS ETC.

 * Original msg to: Kukkonen-at-snakemail.hut.fi

 Ku> Hello again!

 KU> I've got my secondary ready - I decided to use a 4inch
 KU> diameter coil for this first version, so I've got about 55cm
 KU> of winding - it's about 600-700 rounds of #21 which is a bit
 KU> low but should work..

Should work fine, your frequency may be a little high, but so
will your Q. Just hunker down with a decent sized discharger.

 KU> My problem is that I'm building a pulsed dye-laser as well
 KU> and I found a cheap source for a capasitor with 44uF 5.5kVDC
 KU> rating which equals about 500 joules.. BUT, the physical
 KU> volume of this cap is only about 500cm^3 (half a liter) and
 KU> it's originally used in a heart defibrillator.. (!) It
 KU> sounds a bit small to be a capasitor for real pulse-
 KU> discharging use.. What do you think?

I agree. While the cap may pulse, it may not pulse with the duty
cycle normally encountered in the Tesla tank circuit. Think about
how long the power circuit of a defibrillator charges, then the
pulse, then the length of time required to recharge. It is also
operating on a nice smooth DC input, and there is no wild damped
wave train oscillation through a low impedance coil.

 KU> Do you know what is the cost of a pulse-discharging (laser)
 KU> cap with similar ratings in surplus?

They are cheap, but again they are not suitable for Tesla work.
I have seen 1/5th farad 1kvDC laser caps for $100.00 US, but they
weighed over 300 lbs (~150 kilos).

 KU> Another interesting thing about your experiment at
 KU> transferring energy though ground conduction - would it work
 KU> if the transmitting coil would be inside a grounded
 KU> Faraday's cage?

Oh yes, it works quite well through a Faraday cage.

 KU> If so, would there not be enormous losses because of
 KU> inductive heating of the cage etc.?

Naah. The Faraday cage is only trapping a tine fraction of the
system energy, and that tiny fraction is getting grounded. If the
Faraday cage is properly constructed (meaning it must be large
enough) it will not couple well with the primary/secondary field
flux (which if the coil is well designed will be quite tight and
small). Most of the system energy is forced, in the form of
current, into the ground.

 KU> If memory serves you said that with 2kW transmitting coil
 KU> you could light bulbs at a distance of quarter mile.. Would
 KU> this mean like a 100+ watts of power received?

I was lighting four foot florescent tubes bright enough to read
by. This does not require very much wattage using Tesla currents
to excite the tube.

 KU> Here's a quote from the other tesla-list:

 > > Would not a grounded faraday cage "short out" a TC, since
 > > ground terminal of the TC goes to the same place as the
 > > cage

 KU> What do you think?

These guys are thinking radiation, not ground conduction.
Radiation from the system is only a tiny, tiny portion of the
total energy processed. If you connected another resonator to the
Faraday cage, the other resonator would excite to good spark.

 KU> This is becoming interesting as there are quite negative
 KU> articles about this at the other tesla-list..

Somebody out there needs to stop "arm chair analyizing", and
reproduce the experiment. Maybe they might learn something.

 KU> I do believe in your experiments though..

There is no "believing". The experiment is easy to reproduce, and
I outlined exactly how I obtained my results. I have not done
this just once, I ran literally dozens of experiments in this
area over a period of weeks. Ground current conduction is a plain
and simple fact.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12