[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RG-213 and RG-8

Quoting Ryan Jester:

 RJ> Hey hows it goen?

Talking Tesla and jammin with a Nirvana CD on a multimedia IBM!

 RJ> Just an update, I finished winding and sealing my secondary,
 RJ> almost finsished with my static gap.

I know that with the information, tools, and materials you have
available I can expect that this coil project will be every bit
as good as the one recently completed by Ed Sonderman.

 RJ> Anyways I did some checking around in my electronic books
 RJ> and found out that RG-213 and RG-8 are identical except for
 RJ> RG-213 is 50 ohms and RG-8 is 52 ohms, but who cares since
 RJ> you would use the center.

Good Job! Maybe I should take a moment and explain to the others
reading what this means to a Tesla Coiler. Spark excited Tesla
circuits require high-voltage lines to run the distance from the
power-supply & RF-filter buss board -> to the Tesla Tank circuit
(L-C) oscillator some feet away.

Polyethylene core coax has two very important advantages for
making HVAC connections in Tesla work; especially where HVAC
power feed lines are snaked across the floor and around
equipment. The first advantage is that polyethylene core coax
has an extremely high break down voltage between the center
conductor and the grounded sheath. The second advantage is the
additional layer of protection provided by the grounded sheath
in the unlikely event the core insulation should fail. The sheath
will return the current to system ground directly, avoiding
equipment damage and shock hazards. So I use both conductors of
the coax when running HVAC.

BTW, I have used the RG-213 coax with voltages in excess of
40,000 VAC (60 cycle) and have never had a problem.

Richard Quick
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12