[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TOROID HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT

 * Original msg to: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

Quoting Ed Sonderman:

 ES> I think I need to fix the coupling problem between the
 ES> primary and secondary before I experiment any more with
 ES> discharger height. You mentioned maybe tapping the primary
 ES> out a couple of turns from the inside.  I like this idea but
 ES> those first two turns are so close to the bottom of the
 ES> primary coil form base that I can't get a clip in there.
 ES> I might be able to run a couple of pieces of RG-213 in there
 ES> and just wrap the wire around the copper tubing. How about
 ES> if I just unwind the botttom two turns.  This might not be
 ES> real easy but if I can do it, it certainly should loosen the
 ES> coupling and move the outside tap from 13 turns out close to
 ES> the end at 14 turns.  Of course, this would be kind of a one
 ES> way deal...  What do you think?

Tap out the inside turns of your primary with the coax (or some
strap) before cutting and removing the two inside turns of the
primary. This will give you an idea of how effective this is
going to be in loosening the coupling before you make permanent
changes. After tapping these inside turns out, wrap the bottom of
the secondary in some plastic to beef up the dielectric strength
between the base of the secondary and the inside bottom of the
primary. Then test fire. I take it that your secondary is
permanently mounted inside of the primary so you cannot raise it
up easily? Anyway, if tapping out the inside turns of the primary
cures the overcoupling problem THEN you can feel secure in
permanently removing these turns.

 ES> You mentioned that once I have the coupling adjusted
 ES> correctly, that I will see no blue corona at all.  Is this
 ES> correct?  I see it strongly now before breakout and can
 ES> still see it clearly when I am running at full power.

This coil system is nearly peaked out. You have tweaked,
increased input power, capacitance, and toriod size. In a system
performing right at the design limits you are going to see some
signs of electrical stress on occasion. When you get the coupling
loosened up, most (if not all) of the corona you are observing
will be reduced to the point you would need time lapse
photography to see it.

 ES> I did buy another ground rod yesterday.  I don't have it in
 ES> yet.  My soil is very rocky and it is a real big job to
 ES> drive these 8.0 ft rods down even to 6.5 ft.

Poor rocky soil is another reason to add that other ground rod.
I am wondering about renting a large electric drill with an
auger system of extendable bits to drill out the holes before
driving the copper pipe home.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12