[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: insulators, resonance...

> Yep.  Model.  As used means "simplify reality to the point we can
> deal with it"  Models are not all powerful.  Case in point:  The
> aerodynamic model that sez the bumblebee can't fly.  The bumblebee
> ignores the model and flys anyway....  Models are powerful tools, but
> they have their limitations...

The bumblebee model you mention obviously is a bad model since the
theoretical results are inconsistent with the observed phenomenon,
whereas the earth resonance and lightning theory models of the earth
predict results that have been experimentally verified.  I'm not saying
that's actually how the earth really works, but the model does seem to
agree with reality.  We do seem to agree on one thing though...I am a
firm believer that we KNOW absolutely nothing about anything; we pick
the models that fit the currently agreed upon facts and give us nice
equations, but we really don't know what's really going at even the
most basic level.

> There are lotsa kinds of resonances.  Good ones (high Q) and bad
> ones (low q) ...Electric POWER requires voltage and current...Even if
> [the earth] is imperfectly conducting, the resonance might well be
> seen (is seen, if the experimets are correct....)  The losses would not
> so much affect the value of the frequency as the sharpness of the
> resonance.  What the losses would do is make any ground current
> portion of  wireless power scheme lossy...

I don't think that we're fundamentally disagreeing here.  Since I'm not
an RF power (or non-power) engineer, and I haven't seen any recent,
reputable research on the subject, I have no opinion about whether
actual power transmission via ELF excitation of the earth is practical or
not, I just stated that the earth resonances that Tesla observed are
generally agreed to be authentic and are consistent with Schumann's
earth-ionosphere cavity model (from the Corum's and A. Aidinejad in the
1986/1987 Tesla Journal from the Tesla Memorial Society, and others).

> They were still puzzled by the 25H.0z.  So i told them to think about
> the AMTRAK NEC which runs trains to Washington on 25Hz.  They
> seemed interested...

Nothing is ever easy, is it?  We were setting up an experimental CCD
XRay imaging system in the lab here, and we were getting very noisy
images.  First, I found that the switching power supply we were using
was putting out a lot of the noise, but changing it still didn't get rid of all
the noise in the image.  Finally, I took the FFT of a line from the image
and found a very pronounced peak at 60 Hz. Better power supply
filtering and shielding finally got rid of most of the noise, but there was
always a small but noticeable 60 Hz component in the images that we
could never get rid of.

Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)