[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

An interesting tesla coil use

Greetings,

A while back I saw an article in a magazine (I think it was Scientific American)
that talked about protecting power transmission equipment from lightning.
The interesting thing was that they showed a picture of a tesla coil creating
a *straight* spark from the coil to the target.  The straight spark was produced
by using an ultra-violet laser to ionize the air in a straight line above the
coil to the target.  This seems like some interesting possibilities could
arise if one could direct the spark from a tesla coil so well.
I looked and looked to see if I could find the reference before posting, but
after an hour or two, I couldn't find it.  Maybe Murphy's law will kick in and
I'll find the reference now that I have posted this message.

Chip