[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: CAP DESIGN

 * Original msg to: Kukkonen-at-snakemail.hut.fi

 >On Sat, 14 Jan 1995, Richard Quick wrote:

 Ku> About di-electric plates for a cap..
RQ> the defects will probably not be apparent if the power supply is
RQ> rated for 10 kV. If you never intend to place a higher voltage
RQ> transformer across it you should be just fine.

 Ku> It appears that I shall have to use 8kV 105mA for running the
 Ku> system so the voltage-rating is more than enough.. and the
 Ku> x-former oil should fill the dents anyway if they don't get
 Ku> fixed as I press the plates together..

RQ> but in these caps a little moisture will not hurt much. You can
RQ> pour the oil over dessicant in the filter paper if you are
RQ> concerned, it will reduce the water content quite a bit.

 Ku> ..and by leaving a little "empty" space to the bottom of the
 Ku> tank between the bottom-plate and the cap-plates - the water
 Ku> should gather there because of density-differencies..

That has been my experience.

 Ku> btw: I do now have the electrodes ready for the airblast-spark.gap.
 Ku> They are not of brass but bronze - I guess that is does not matter
 Ku> as the m.p. is higher..  Kristian Ukkonen.

I like brass because it is available here (whereas bronze in not) and
it has a lower ionization factor than pure copper or tin. Bronze is an
alloy of copper and tin, but and I have not done any research on the
ionization factor. I do know that pure zinc is preferable over pure
tin, and I have used pure zinc electrodes.

Not to worry though. A good gap is a combination of design and material.
Built properly, this gap will run so cool, and quench so well, that the
actual ionization factor of the electrode will not be a factor.

 Ku> ps. did you get the file using the ftp-to-mail gateway?

I have been very, very, busy. But I can tell that SOMEONE has been
visiting there, as I have received E-Mail from people who have accessed
the material and are starting projects. It is also a reason why Chip
was recently swamped with people who are getting on the mailing list.
I will try to make some time, as I have yet another person inquire
about the ftp address so he could find out what files are available.

Thanks, Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

----- End Included Message -----