[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TANK CAPACITORS

 * Original msg to: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
 * Carbons sent to: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

 ES> Is it necessary to burn in new oil filled rolled tank
 ES> capacitors?  I completed two .018mfd capacitors and let them
 ES> sit for a week.

I don't think "burn them in" is appropriate, but yes they do have
to be broken in.

 ES> Then according to the capacitor instructions in the Keelynet
 ES> file, it says to burn them in.

I need the name of this file so that it may be edited or deleted.

 ES> I connected them to the output of a 12kv 60ma transformer in
 ES> series with the center connected to the transformer center
 ES> tap. I ran it about 50% power (should be about 3kv across
 ES> each cap) for 4 hours. I checked the transformer later and
 ES> discovered one secondary was toasted.  Would you expect this
 ES> to happen?

Yes, this will toast a transformer. The pulse discharging
capacitor is charging up, but where is it discharging?

Back into the neon secondary when the polarity of the transformer
switches 120 times a second. The current dumping into the neon
secondary when the polarity reversed was pretty decent I imagine.
I am surprised you have even half a neon left.

 ES> Can I risk another transformer?  --

I wouldn't.

 ES> Or should I just hook the system up and run the coil (also
 ES> new and never been fired) at low power for a while?

Yeah, run the two caps in series, and keep the voltage down
around 1/2 using a variac. Set up a coil, set the main system
spark gaps very narrow, and fire the coil. Run for a minute, then
shut it off and let it sit 10 minutes or so: do this for a couple
of hours the first day. The second day up run the caps for 2-3
minutes, then shut it off for 10 - 15 minutes: do this for a
couple of hours. The third day run the caps for 3-5 minutes, then
shut it off and let them rest for 10 - 15 minutes.

It is the pulsing of the cap in the Tesla Tank circuit that
settles in the plates and drives off trapped air bubbles. The
pulse excitation of the spark gap firing at low power vibrates
the plates and breaks the cap in. The value will change as much
as 10% during the three day break in, so re-tune frequently.
Coupling in and firing a coil consumes the energy during break in
instead of allowing it to kickback into the transformer windings.

Richard Quick
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12