[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question from the pas

 -=> Quoting Nikola Tesla Aka Chip At to Tesla List <=-

 NTAC> TAC> Message-ID: <9502021700.AA22366-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com>
 NTAC> Newsgroups: tesla.list

 NTAC> From SROYS-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu Thu Feb  2 08:43 MST 1995
 NTAC> (5.65c/IDA-1.4.4 for <tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com>); Thu, 2 Feb 1995
 NTAC> 08:18:05 -0700
 NTAC> To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com (Nikola Tesla aka Chip Atkinson)
 NTAC> From: "SROYS"  <SROYS-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu>
 NTAC> Date:         Thu, 2 Feb 1995 10:14:18 EDT
 NTAC> Subject:      Re: Question from the past

 MG> but for the sake of discussion, lets draw 5 series inductors, and
 MG> from each connecting point between the inductors draw a capacitor
 MG> to the ground plane, the highest capacitor being from the terminal
 MG> capacitance to the ground plane...It should be obvious on
 MG> examination that the inductive reactance will rise as the coil
 MG> moves farther and farther from the ground end because the
 MG> inductance is increasing, the same is true with the capacitive
 MG> reactance because the capacitance to ground is DEcreasing

 NTAC> If I'm picturing this right, with the caps all wired in parallel from
 NTAC> the coil
 NTAC> to ground, wouldn't this result in an increasing capacitance and a
 NTAC> corresponding decrease in capacitive reactance to ground as you
 NTAC> move up the coil and include more parallel capacitors?

 MG> What I'm trying to illustrate is the DE-creasing capacitance to ground
 through the increasing distance to the ground plane. I don't have my original
 reply so I can't re-read it all to see if I could have made an error in the
 way I explained it, but I think the original question was why the current /
 voltage distribution exists the way it does in a secondary coil, and again
 its because the REACTANCES change with a postion change in the coil, they are
 the lowest at the bottom and the highest at the top, or what I actually
 prefer to call it, the 90 degree point, since it is a electrical point and
 not necesarily a physical point. I think I pointed out that the "value" of
 the capacitors DEcreased as we moved up the coil, which RAISES the capacitive
 reactance, and because of this, the CURRENT flow REDUCES in each advancing
 segment of the coil.

                                Mark Graalman
                                5004 South Ave.
                                Toledo Ohio  43615-6429

                                mark.graalman-at-mediccom.norden1-dot-com

... Alias, Mark the spark
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12