[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary Q's and magnets

I was playing with my scope last night characterizing my latest
secondary (900 turns of 24 gauge wire on a 4" diameter PVC tube) and I
measured the steady-state Q to be 32 by finding the delta-f that gave
.7x the maximum output voltage .  I also noticed that f0 measured from
the maximum current into the base was 435.25kHz, but f0 measured by
observing the secondary voltage peak using a scope probe pointed at
the coil was 438.42kHz.  The ~3kHz difference was signficant (to me at
least) and consistently reproduceable.  So what gives - why does the
voltage peak occur at a frequency higher than the frequency that gives
the highest base current?  Is one method more correct than the other?

What, if anything, should the probe ground be tied to when monitoring
the secondary voltage?  I started out using an aluminum pie tin as an
antenna hooked to the probe so I could monitor the secondary voltage,
but I was picking up so much 60Hz noise that the trace looked like a
solid band of fuzz.  By not using the plate and just pointing the scope
probe at the coil from a distance of a foot or so, I got a reasonable
trace, but it still had a small 60hZ modulation to it.

Finally, a few comments on large magnetic fields.  A typical MRI
system that you would find in a hospital has a field on the order of 1.5
Tesla, and a static magnetic field, even of that magnitude, is generally
considered safe.  The problems that people have are more in the way
of loose magnetic objects getting sucked into the bore of the magnet
and damaging people simply by becoming projectiles, embedded
magnetic objects being torqued around during a study (magnetic clips
in the body, etc...), people having their credit cards wiped and their
watches magnetized so they don't work any more, and things like that.
I've heard that with higher fields (5 to 10T or more), you can shake your
head and "taste" the eddy currents induced in your tongue, but I'm not
aware of any inherent dangers of static magnetic fields of any strengths
that you would be exposed to outside of some secret government lab.

Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)